Alphabetical Listing of Dog Health Issues
Select from the following tabs to view an alphabetical listing of some of the health issues found in dogs. Each link provides a brief description of the condition along with links to websites which cover the issues in further detail.
Note: The Health & Nutrition section of the Canada’s Guide to Dogs website is intended as a source of information only. It is not intended as a substitute for professional care, but as an aid to those seeking health and nutrition information. Always consult with your Veterinarian and other professionals about health related matters and any concerns or questions you may have concerning your dog’s diet and nutrition requirements. We do not endorse or recommend any one treatment or diet over another.
– A –
- Acepromazine – WARNING (in the Boxer breed)
- Acquired Myathenia Gravis
- Acute Moist Pyoderma (Hot Spots)
- Addison’s Disease (also known as Hypoadrenocorticism)
- Anal Gland — The Importance Of The Dog’s Anal Gland
- Antifreeze is Dangerous to Pets — Take Special Care
- Aortic Stenosis
- Arthritis (Also see Degenerative Joint Disease and Osteoarthritis)
- Aseptic Meningitis
- ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center
- Atrioventricular Valve Dysplasia
- Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia (AIHA)
- Autoimmune Thyroiditis
– B –
- Brachycephalic Airway Obstruction Syndrome (BAOS)
- Bloat — First Aid for Bloat (Gastric Dilatation – Volvulous)
- Bloat / Gastric Torsion: A Compilation of Available Information (or the lack thereof)
- Canadian Poisonous Plants Information System
- Cancer in Dogs
- Canine Distemper Virus (CDV) In Dogs
- Canine Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
- Cervical Vertebral Instability (Wobbler’s Syndrome)
- Chocolate is Sweet…But Can be Deadly
- Chocolate Poisoning In Dogs — Pet Health Alert!
- Chondrodysplasia (CHD)
- Chronic Hepatitis (Chronic Liver Disease)
- Collapsed Trachea
- Color Dilution Alopecia (CDA)
- Corneal Dystrophy
- Corneal Ulcers
- CPR for Dogs — from PetMD
- Cushing’s Disease
– D –
- Degenerative Joint Disease (DJD) (Also see Arthritis and Osteoarthritis)
- Degenerative Myelopathy (DM)
- Dehydration — Treating Your Dog For Dehydration
- Demodectic Mange (also known as Red Mange or Demodicosis)
- Dental Hygiene — Is Pet Dental Health Really Important?
- Dermoid Sinus
- Diabetes Mellitus
- Dilated Cardiomyopathy
- Distemper — Canine Distemper Virus (CDV)
– E –
- Ear Infections (Otitis Externa)
- Elbow Dysplasia
- Emergency Care
- Emergency Preparedness — Hurricane Katrina: A Lesson in Emergency Preparedness for You and Your Dog
- Canine Epilepsy Network
- Exposure Keratopathy Syndrome
- Eye Diseases
– F –
- Fanconi Syndrome
- First-Aid For Dogs : Prepare For The Unexpected — By Dr. Libby Guise — In-depth guide for all types of Emergencies
- First Aid Kit — Dog’s First Aid Kit
- The Flea Allergy In Dogs And Cats
- Fleas: Safe, Effective Flea Control
- Fold Dermatitis
- Follicular Dysplasia
– G –
– H –
- Heart Disease – Dilated Cardiomyopathy
- Hearing Problems
- Heartworm – Is your Dog at Risk?
- Heat Stroke in Dogs
- Heat Stroke and the Giant Breed Dog
- Hemorrhagic Gastric Enteritis (HGE)
- Hepatitis in Dogs
- Hereditary Ataxia or Spinocerebellar
- Hereditary Myopathy of Labrador Retrievers (HMLR)
- Hip Dysplasia
- “Hot Spots” (Acute Moist Pyoderma)
- Hypoadrenocorticism (also known as Addison’s Disease)
- Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
- Hypothyroidism (Low Thyroid Function)
– I –
– J –
– K –
– L –
- Laryngeal Paralysis (LP)
- Legg-Calve Perthes (LCPD) (also known as Avascular Necrosis)
- Liver Shunt (Portosystemic Shunt)
– M –
- Mange (Demodectic) (also known as Red Mange or Demodicosis)
- Mast Cell Tumors
– N –
- Nothing listed at this time.
– O –
– P –
- Panosteitis (Pano)
- Parvovirus (Parvo)
- Patellar Luxation (also known as Kneecap Luxation and Slipped Stifles)
- Patent Ductus Arteriosus (PDA)
- Persistent Pupillary Membranes (PPM)
- Pharyngeal Gag Reflex (Reverse Sneezing)
- Toxins (Poisons) That Effect Dogs
- (Poisonous) Toxic Plants — Canadian Poisonous Plants Information System
- Portosystemic Shunt (Liver Shunt)
- Primary Keratinization Disorder or Primary Seborrhea
- Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA)
- Prolapsed Gland of the Third Eyelid (Cherry Eye)
- Pulmonic Stenosis
– Q –
- Nothing listed at this time.
- None listed at this time.
- Hemangiosarcoma — Encyclopedia of Canine Veterinary Medical Information
- Histiocytosis — Canine Inherited Disorders Database
- Bone Cancer – Canine Osteosarcoma
Cardiovascular / Heart Disease
- Subaortic Stenosis — Canine Inherited Disorders Database
- Aortic Stenosis — Provet Healthcare Information
- Atrioventricular Valve Dysplasia — Provet Health Information
- Heart Disease in the Great Dane: Cardiomyopathy and Congenital Disease
- Tricuspid Dysplasia: A Cardiologist’s Perspective
- Tricuspid Valve Dysplasia in the Labrador Retriever
- von Willebrand’s DNA Test — Type I – Bernese Mountain Dog, Doberman Pincher, Kerry Blue Terrier, Manchester Terrier, Pembroke Welsh Corgi, Poodle and Papillon.
- Bloat — Canine Inherited Disorders Database
- Canine Diabetes — Information for owners of Canine’s with Diabetes Mellitus.
- Hypothyroidism in Dogs
Eye and Ear
- Companion Animal Eye Registry (CAER) — Maintains a registry of purebred dogs who have been examined and certified annually.
- Deafness in Dogs and Cats — Information on Deafness Prevalence, Causes, & Management For Owners, Breeders, and Researchers — by George M. Strain, Professor of Neuroscience, Comparative Biomedical Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, Louisiana State University
- Hip Dysplasia — Canine Inherited Disorders Database
- University of Pennsylvania Hip Improvement Program (PennHIP)
- Legg Calvé Perthes Disease by Fred Lanting
- The Pet Arthritis Resource Center — An informational resource for anyone looking for information on arthritis in dogs, arthritis in cats, hip dysplasia, arthritis treatments, and glucosamine for pets.
- Ruptured Anterior Cruciate Ligament
- What is hereditary myopathy?
- What is Laryngeal Paralysis?
- Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA)
- Rimadyl: News, Views & Advisories — from The Senior Dogs Project
- The Epi Guardian Angels — An extensive resource for information, support, treatments and solutions for veterinarians and owners of dogs with Canine Epilepsy.
- Cervical vertebral instability (Wobbler syndrome) — Canine Inherited Disorders Database
- Wobblers…is there an alternative to surgery?
Note: This section of the Canada’s Guide to Dogs website is intended as a source of information only. It is not intended as a substitute for professional care. Always consult with your Veterinarian about health related matters.
Get In Touch
- Email: email@example.com
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visit us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/CanadasGuideToDogs
CanadasGuideToDogs.com is an Amazon Associate as well as a participant in various affiliate programs, as such fees are earned from qualifying purchases.