General Dog Health and Wellbeing
Whether you are looking for information on dog anatomy, vaccines, flea control, de-skunking or anything in between, this section of the Canada’s Guide to Dogs website includes links to some excellent resources that cover everything related to a dog’s general health and wellbeing.
- Alphabetical Listing of Dog Health Issues — An alphabetical listing of canine illnesses/diseases with links to websites that cover the selected topic in greater detail.
- The Merck Veterinary Manual — “The single most comprehensive electronic reference for animal care information.”
- Cat and Dog Anatomy — From the Washington State University, College of Veterinary Medicine
- The Dog’s Internal Anatomy: Part 1 – Skeletal
- The Dog’s Internal Anatomy: Part 2 Muscles, Tendons, Ligaments, and Joints
- Three-Legged “Tripawd” Dogs — Read this inspiring article about dogs who have had a limb amputated and visit www.tripawds.com for an online tripod dog bone cancer resource center.
- The Pet Arthritis Resource Center — An informational resource for anyone looking for information on arthritis in dogs, arthritis in cats, hip dysplasia, arthritis treatments, and glucosamine for pets.
- How to Improve the Quality of Your Dog’s Life! — by Jörn Oleby, Author of Canine Massage and Stretching — A Dog Owners Manual
- Protect Your Dog From These Preventable Threats By Robert Benson
- Vaccines This section is provided as a means for learning about the issues surrounding vaccinations. Included here are links to various articles, documents and websites where indepth and significant information about vaccinations is available.
- Safe, Effective Flea Control By Richard H. Pitcairn, D.V.M., Ph.D. and Susan Hubble Pitcairn — Authors of Dr. Pitcairn’s Complete Guide To Natural Health for Dogs & Cats
- The Flea Allergy In Dogs And Cats by Grace Palce
- Identifying & Controlling Your Dog’s Allergies by M. H. Molock
- Allergies – Dogs May Suffer Too — by Kirsten Hawkins
- Is Pet Dental Health Really Important? — by Lori Matthews
- Healing Touch for Animals — A program that introduces holistic concepts to assist with injuries, illness, surgeries, wound healing, behavioral problems and stress related issues.
- Everything You Need to Know About How Dogs Sleep — From the Sleep Institute
— Just like in people, sleep for dogs is a critical aspect of their health. When you start thinking about a dog dozing off, it raises a handful of questions: how is dog sleep like human sleep? How much do dogs need to sleep? Can they sleep too much? And do they dream like we do? This guide helps answer these questions and more so that you can better understand your dog’s sleep and promote the sleep that they need to continue being a healthy and happy part of your family.
De-Skunking your Dog
- Your Dog Sprayed By Skunk? Don’t Panic, Take A Deep Breath, And Follow These Steps — In-depth guide on everything related to your dog being sprayed by a skunk.
- 1 quart of 3-percent hydrogen peroxide (available at any pharmacy)
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1 teaspoon liquid dishwashing soap
Note: The Health & Nutrition section of the Canada’s Guide to Dogs website is intended as a source of information only. It is not intended as a substitute for professional care, but as an aid to those seeking health and nutrition information. Always consult with your Veterinarian and other professionals about health related matters and any concerns or questions you may have concerning your dog’s diet and nutrition requirements. We do not endorse or recommend any one treatment or diet over another.