Information for New Puppy and Dog Owners
If you are considering bringing a dog or puppy into your home, the following articles will help guide you in your decision. Covering such topics as what type of breed is best suited for you and your family to how to go about finding a responsible and reputable breeder. Also available here, is a selection of Reference Books on the subject of choosing the right breed for you.
Please also have a look at the Rescue Section of the website for additional articles and information. Within this section you will also find listings of Rescue Organizations and Shelters from across Canada, sorted by Province. (Rescue Organizations for specific breeds are listed within the breed sections.)
Preparing for a Puppy/Dog:
- A New Dog in Your Home: Welcome Him Home!
- Dogs and Kids
- Your Child Brought Home A Dog
- Are You Ready for a Puppy or Dog? — Before you commit to bringing a new puppy or dog into your life, be absolutely positive that you are ready, willing, and capable of taking care of a dog for his or her entire life. This article, by Karen Peak of Westwind Dog Training, is written to help you make that important decision.
- Simple But Powerful Ways to Ensure Your Family and Your Dog Get Along — Important tips and information to help ensure that your new dog/puppy and your children learn to get along from the start.
- Protect Your Pets from the Pound
- I Want A Pet For My Child — What you need to really consider and think about before bringing an animal into the life of your child and family.
- Preparing Your Home For A New Puppy
- Five Mistakes New Puppy Owners Make
- 7 Dog Adoption Tips I Learned From My 2 Dogs
- Choosing a Breed — From the Canadian Kennel Club
- Deciding to Get a Dog — From the Canadian Kennel Club
Choosing a Puppy/Dog:
- Tips On Choosing A Pure Bred Pet
- How To Pick The Perfect Dog Breed
- Dog Breeds 101
- Why Some Of The Best Dogs Can Be Adopted From Your Local Shelter
- Step By Step Guide To Choosing The Right Dog Breed
- Is That A Labradoodle? — A must read article regarding the cross-breed “Doodles” and “Poos”. These are not exotic new breeds and caution must be taken when dealing with breeders of these dogs!
- Pet Store Puppy — A sad story written from a puppy’s point of view, by J.Ellis.
Finding a Breeder:
- Choosing a Breeder — by Mrs. Bev Molloy, Banda Mastiffs
- A Guide to Choosing a Responsible and Reputable Breeder — Whether you are looking for a family pet, companion animal, or you want a show-quality dog, a responsible breeder is the best source for a well-bred, healthy dog. This guide provides tips on what you should look for when choosing a breeder.
- Choosing a Responsible Breeder — Article submitted by Kirsten Hawkins
- Breed Success in your Puppy Search
- Pedigrees, Registration and Reputable Breeding — A bit of info for the novice dog person, by Karen Peak of West Wind Dog Training.
- The Responsible Breeder vs. The Backyard Breeder — A comparison chart showing the differences between a responsible breeder and a backyard breeder.