In recent years, concerns have been raised about immune-mediated disease following vaccinations. However, there is still significant scientific controversy regarding the data available. While there is no doubt that annual vaccinations have helped eradicate the incidence of once common viral diseases such as canine distemper, hepatitis, and canine parvovirus, many dog owners and some veterinarians have begun to question both the need for annual re-vaccination as well as the long term consequences of vaccinations in general.
This section is provided as a means for learning about the issues surrounding vaccinations. Included here are links to various articles, documents and websites where indepth and significant information about vaccinations is available. Over-vaccination is fast becoming a very real concern within the veterinary community and for dog owners in general. It is important to learn about the issues; however, always consult with your veterinarian to discuss this further and DO NOT simply stop vaccinating your dogs.
Resources and Additional Information:
- Questions and Answers about Pet Vaccinations — The Ontario Veterinary Medical Association
- The Interrelationship of Vaccinations, Vital Force and Remedy Action — by Larry A. Bernstein, V.M.D. — Vaccinations from the homeopathic standpoint.
- A New Look at the Vaccine Question — by Richard H. Pitcairn, D.V.M., Ph.D.
- Titers: What do they tell us? — By Christie Keith
- Considerations in Designing Effective and Safe Vaccination Programs for Dogs — Published by the International Veterinary Information Service (IVIS) (www.ivis.org)
- Vaccination Principles — From the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA)
– Coming soon.
Note: This section of the Canada’s Guide to Dogs website is intended as a source of information only. It is not intended as a substitute for professional care. Always consult with your Veterinarian about health related matters.
Get In Touch
- Email: email@example.com
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visit us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/CanadasGuideToDogs
CanadasGuideToDogs.com is an Amazon Associate as well as a participant in various affiliate programs, as such fees are earned from qualifying purchases.